I found this fun little survey on Sam Kasse’s Tumblr and thought it would fun and festive to fill this out for my characters in SOMEONE LIKE YOU! I might do this again in November for my characters in my NaNoWriMo project (which I’ll talk about once I hammer out some details…and decide on a project). We’ll see.
#1 – Provide a BRIEF description of your novel before starting.
#2 – Don’t use the same character for more than 3 answers.
Leslie and Matt, both fresh out of college, move to a new town together. Leslie should be happy with Matt–he’s everything her parents said she should want. But then why does she feel empty? And why, when enigmatic Hailey waltzes into her life and they go on a quest together to save Hailey’s dog, does she suddenly feel alive?
1. It’s Halloween night! What is your protagonist dressed up as?
Leslie is the one who would show up at a party in a very simple, understated costume. Something common. An angel, probably, because they are safe and viewed as good. Though she would wish she could dress as something more wild.
2. Who in your cast refuses to dress up and shows up at the Halloween party without a costume?
Hailey’s dad. He tends to think that Halloween, and any holiday for that matter, is ridiculous and does nothing to even acknowledge their existence save for scoff at them.
3. Which character wears the most outrageous costume, and what would it be?
Hailey, hands down. She’s very flashy to begin with and given the chance to go all out she will. She would probably dress up as a bellydancing fairy, or take the chance to create a costume that makes an artistic statement on politics.
4. On Halloween, werewolves, vampires, and zombies are on the prowl. Which of your characters gets caught in their clutches, and which creature do they subsequently turn into?
Leslie would likely be the one to get caught. She would either be turned into a vampire or werewolf, depending on which reached her first. She already is a little bit of zombie (in the way that she goes through life the way she’s supposed to, but not with passion). In the end, I think it’d be more likely that she would become a vampire. She’d be drawn to the power and independence and control they would come with.
5. Who wins the contest for best costume?
Either Matt (Leslie’s boyfriend) or Hailey. Both would dress is well thought out and put together costumes.
6. Who hands out toothbrushes to the trick and treaters?
None of my cast would do this, actually. All enjoy candy and Halloween too much (save for Hailey’s dad, who wouldn’t even acknowledge trick or treaters).
7. Which two of your characters decide to pair up and do an angel/devil costume together?
Hilariously enough, Leslie and Matt. Though they wouldn’t do it as a couple costume per se.
8. Someone is too scared to even attend the Halloween party. Who is it?
Hailey’s dad would refuse to go because he doesn’t do holidays, but none of my cast would be scared of it. In fact, 99% of my cast would be super enthusiastic about it!
9. Who overdoses on Halloween candy and ends up sick?
Hailey. Full stop. If she weren’t sick from candy, she’d be hung over from drinking too much.
10. Which character is most likely to place a curse/hex on someone and who would they curse?
Hailey, again. Her father.